These DIY outdoor storage ideas will show you how you can find a place for everything you want to store outside but still keep at reach. Whether you’re looking to store gardening tools, cushions, cooking utensils, or toys, these storage solutions will give you a ton of inspiration on how to store them.
You’ll find free plans that go along with each of the DIY outdoor storage solutions so you can build a bench, coffee table, grill island, firewood shed, toy chests, and more. These are all basic woodworking projects that the beginner woodworker will have no trouble in tackling.
- 01of 16Outdoor Storage Box and BenchA storage box is the most obvious solution for creating DIY outdoor storage and this free plan will show you just how to build one. While the inside is perfect for storage, the outside is elevated with trim, making it look like a nice piece of furniture that you might purchase. The top can be used as a bench to sit on or as a coffee table.
- 02of 16Repurposed Crate Storage TableSimplicity In the SouthSneak in some extra storage to your patio end tables with this free project. You’ll start out with a crate and then repurpose it into a table that has storage inside. It will be the perfect place to store your outdoor dishes or family games.
- 03of 16IKEA Rast Hack With WheelsThis DIY outdoor storage idea starts with a basic dresser from IKEA. Add some outdoor paint and wheels, and you have a great place to store gardening and yard tools, candles, and whatever else you need to tuck away. You could even use the top of the dresser as a potting bench.
- 04of 16Bike Storage ShedKids can collect a lot of bikes, trikes, scooters, and other ride-on toys that make sense to keep outside. A lot of these can really get to be an eyesore so having a place to store all of them is a great idea. This bike storage shed is the perfect solution. Kids will love that their bikes have a place to “park” and you’ll love that everything is picked up and put in its place.
- 05of 16Outdoor Modular Bench With StorageHave your patio furniture do double duty with this outdoor modular bench that has a ton of storage just under the benches. It’s a huge storage space and you’ll even be able to fit large storage containers.
- 06of 16Rolling Outdoor Island With Storage If you have a grill, consider building an outdoor BBQ island. It will not only give you a place to prep while you’re cooking, but it will also give you some additional storage for grill tools and cooking items. You’ll be thrilled at how handy it is to have all these items in their own place while your cooking outdoors.
- 07of 16Outdoor Toy BoxIf you have kids, then you know how quickly outdoor toys can get out of control. This treasure chest toy box is an easy solution to keep the clutter put away and out of sight. Included in this free plan are the building instructions as well as directions on how to add the fun vinyl pirate treasure illustrations.
- 08of 16Outdoor Crate Coffee TableFour crates are arranged in an interesting configuration to form a coffee table in this project. Each crate gives you a place to tuck something away. Wheels are attached to the bottom so you can easily move it wherever you like.
- 09of 16Patio Storage CabinetsThese patio storage cabinets are the perfect solution to an outdoor kitchen but also can be used in any outdoor area. Standard base cabinets are used and the doors are given a fresh coat of paint before being ready to use.
- 10of 16Wood Storage ShedThis outdoor firewood rack is the perfect way to store any wood you might need for your wood stove, grill, or fire pit. This wood storage shed even has a separate place for kindling to be stored.
- 11of 16Covered Kiddie Parking GarageMom EndeavorsHere’s another way to store ride-on toys outside, with a covered kiddie parking garage. This one his hidden under a table and a curtain is used to tuck everything away and out of sight.
- 12of 16Easy Plywood Storage Box With Geometric InlayRemodelaholic This beautiful storage box would look great outside on a patio or deck. It’s an easy build, using just one sheet of plywood for the basic box. Pine trim is used for the decorative inlay which really makes this project shine.
- 13of 16Outdoor Bench With Storage This outdoor bench is not only a great place to sit and relax when you’re outdoors, but it has a ton of hidden storage right under the seats. This DIY outdoor storage solution gives you a whopping five sections of storage that no one will even know is there.
- 14of 16Outdoor Toy StorageThis plan shows you how to build a simple DIY table that could fit perfectly into an alcove of the house. Underneath the table is where all the outdoor toys and bikes can go. An optional curtain can be added to keep everything hidden away.
- 15of 16Outdoor Coffee Table Storage BenchThis beautiful outdoor coffee table pulls double-duty as a place where you can put your feet up or set your drink on. Open up the top of the table and there’s a lot of room for you to store patio cushions or whatever else you’d like to store outside.
- 16of 16Backyard Toy Storage Shelf Here’s a DIY outdoor storage idea for all the outdoor or garage toys that your children might have. It’s really a two-tired bench that would look great outside or you could even use it inside to corral toys. The lips on the shelves make it a great place to store anything that might roll away, like toy trucks or balls.